Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Farmers Market Challenge Update

This past week we spent $115 LESS than we spend on average at Trader Joes, shopping at the Farmers market. Do I have the attention of your wallet? Husband? I thought so. And we would have spent even less if the toddler didn't get diarrhea and me break down and get some friggin’ diapers.  I had a moment of weakness after cleaning her and her entire crib worth of fluffy lovies and blankets from what appeared to be 8 gallons of butterscotch pudding. Emphases on the butt. Can you blame me?
I also got a new interesting thing to expand my horizons in food. Turkey eggs. If you can get them, GET THEM. As great a cook as people tell me I am, (okay, I’ll just admit it because people don’t care as much that you are bragging if you feed them) I am not terribly adventurous. I spent my entire childhood and all but the past 5 years of my adulthood with a terrible stomach condition. (Healed by 5 years of clean eating btw) Puking that much will give you weird aversions. Anyway don’t be lurky about turkey. They are a little richer than chicken eggs and about twice the size or 3 times the size if you get a double yoker like we did. Jack. Pot.
So I promised, that I would share a recipe. Below the recipe I will give the info of the farm or vendor we got that product from. Here is a fairly regular thing I make from what we get and you can change it depending on what veggies are in season. Ready? It’s super easy. A monkey could do it. Also, you have to help me name it because it deserves a name. Also, I really kinda hate lamb. Not my bag but this stuff is amazing so again don‘t be skerd!

Lamb chorizo and veggie and feta egg thingie that I made up one day (Help!)

One package lamb chorizo
Seasonal veggies, I used zucchini and carrots, shredded on a box grater or a food processor if you are a 1%er. (Okay, maybe I’m just jealous)
Large tomato or two sliced about ¾” thick
Lard (I used leaf lard because I’m a snob like that)
# of eggs (any kind) of people you will be serving (lucky hubby got the double yoked turkey egg)
Red onion (or white onion, I’m not the boss of you) sliced very thin
Feta cheese crumbled

Cut chorizo out of casing and brown/crumble in a little lard* until cooked through. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon. If needed, add a little more lard for sautéing your veggies. While not needed for the chorizo you will need to remember to salt and pepper the layers as you go. Toss in onions first, cook for about a minute. Add remaining veggies S&P and sauté to your liking and remove to individual dishes for serving. In the same skillet, for the love of flavor, brown up the tomato slices on each side a little. Oh, the sweetness! While that is going down, layer the chorizo atop its luxurious bed of veggies. Say night, night. When the tomatoes are looking done, but not smushy,  put them on the chorizo, top with a sunny side up egg, or at the very least over easy. The whole point of the egg is the yolk dripping down into all the layers. *wipes drool* Then finally top with crumbled feta. So from top to bottom you will have:
Feta
Egg
Tomato
Chorizo
Veggies
There is it. My kids gobble it up and it is CRAZY filling. Everything I got came from the Saturday 441 market with the exception of the leaf fat which I picked up straight from the farm because I needed an excuse to visit Jill.
Lamb chorizo-Oak Lane Sheep Farm
Veggies-Frog Song Organics http://frogsongorganics.com/
Feta cheese-Cypress Point Creamery http://cypresspointcreamery.com/
Turkey eggs-laughingchickenfarm.com (some of my favorite people)
Leaf fat to render lard-http://www.cognitofarm.com/Cognito_Farm/Home.html

Enjoy!

*I always suggest cooking grass fed animals or wild game in a little extra oil because they are naturally very lean and otherwise may result in very expensive dog or chicken food (i.e. inedible).

1 comment: